Monday 10 November 2014

Why food storage is so important

The next little while may be scarce on the posts. We are expecting our third child in the next few days. I completely spaced the post yesterday. My mind has been elsewhere lately.

I did read a really good post this week. Ill put a link in here for you. I recommend you read it. It is exactly what my wife and I think about food storage. I really liked the points that food storage is not just for when SHTF. It is for so many other reasons. What if you lose a job and can't afford to go grocery shopping, or your sick and can't get out. Or, being in Canada, if snows 4 feet and you can't drive any where.

Another great point is that you should store what you eat and eat what you store. Don't buy things you don't regularly cook with or eat. What happens is either it goes bad because you never use it, or when it comes time to dive into your food storage you don't know how to use it. Just buy extras of what you already eat, and cycle through that. Then when it comes time to use the food storage, you meals still taste the same and you are familiar with it all.

Last point I wanted to hit on from the article is to learn a new skill. Learn how to can food. My wife and I were talking about learning how to make our own butter and soap. It could be a fun family activity and you can save a bit of $$ by not having to buy butter or soap.

Well, I don't want to give everything away. Here is the link.
http://survivalistprepper.net/why-food-storage-and-prepping-are-so-important/

Let me know any thoughts you have on the subject.

No comments:

Post a Comment