Monday 25 August 2014

Bushcraft

Again, sorry for the late one.

Im sitting in a lodge in Soldotna Alaska about to go to sleep. We are meeting at 5:45am to go fishing on the Kenai for a number of hours. This is where I feel at home. Out in the wild. I definitely don't do this enough.

I watched a video last week of a guy from England who filmed himself doing a 5 day "bushcrafting" trip. That looks the most interesting to me. I love camping but I definitely want to get into bushcraft.

The idea behind bushcraft is to learn how to use what is available in nature instead of tools you would normally carry in a camping bag.

So this guy, as he is bushcrafting, explains what different plants are good and bad for. He shows how he uses certain mosses as a scrubbing tool to clean dishes and his hands, talks about how certain plants make for good tp. He makes his own teas from plants he picks.

I think that is so interesting. Not only will I gain a greater understanding of the plants and animals but also a much greater appreciation for the world God has created for me.

This is going to be my new hobby from here on out. I know this is what I want to do. I love the outdoors, and im not sure why I have been putting this off for so long. Im going to combine this hobby with my other hobby of geocaching and soon, hunting. This should be good!!

No comments:

Post a Comment