Sunday 10 August 2014

Number 1

I'm going to continue in my numbers in scripture theme. I am going to actually do a post per number. I hope you will find this as interesting as I do.

So we start at the beginning. #1

Clues to finding out what the numbers mean is to ask why? I mentioned in an earlier post that my favorite question is why?

Here's a good example. Deuteronomy 6:4 "The Lord our God is one Lord". Why is it necessary to mention that God is "one Lord"? Is there another God that is two Lords? In a book called The Lost Language of Symbolism, it says "The number one is indivisible, and not made up of other numbers, and is therefore independent of all others". 

Sounds like the number one is a great number to symbolize unity. To be one. So in Genesis when it says "Therefore shall a man leave his father and his mother, and shall cleave unto his wife: and they shall be one flesh"(Gen 2:24), it means there should be unity in the marriage. I feel pretty safe to say that it doesn't mean they will literally become one person, like the husband obsorbs the wife or something, or they become attached at the hip. It simply means to be united. So why not say " and they shall be united"? Because the number 1 paints a nice picture. One is not to rule the other, but they are to be one, nothing dividing them. Act as one. Similar to a basketball team that plays as one. 

This, I believe, is one area where the idea of the Godhead becomes confusing. It is thought to be three yet one. Many believe it to be three different hats of one being, God. Others believe it is three different beings under one hat, God. 

Either way, the number one is a great number to paint the image of unity. So when God commands us in John 17:11 "Holy Father, keep through thine own name those whom thou hast given me, that they may be one, as we are", he is asking that we be one like the Godhead. Not in flesh, becoming one body, but in unity. 

Man this turned into a sermon rather quickly. Not my intention, but what can I expect when I talk about numbers in scripture?

One other thought. One is the first number. It is the first in existence. Before reaching any other number, we must first arrive at one. Before we obtain any other number we must first aquire one. One must be present in all other numbers. No wonder it is a great number to describe God. 

No comments:

Post a Comment