Monday 8 September 2014

Bushcraft 2.0

So this is more of a heads up post. I have talked this over with a few people and have decided this is a good idea. I am going to add a video blog to this not video blog. YAY!!

This video blog will be about survival/preparedness/bushcraft. I think it will be fun. I am not to sure as to a time frame on how soon the first video will be up or how frequently they will be posted. I would like to say weekly but I may be leaning to monthly to start off with. No promises though. This is mostly thoughts in my head. It will really depend on how frequently I can get out and film something. I will be starting a youtube channel. Ill let you know when that's up. I have a few other ideas up my sleeve that I will leave as a surprise. Really I just don't have all the details worked out yet for all the ideas I have. The first step is going to be this vlog.

I have seen a lot of video's and read a bunch of blogs from professional bushcrafters and preppers. You can get a ton of awesome information from them. The idea behind my video blog is to do this bushcrafting/prepping from a "rookie" point of view. I want to document my "journey" as I learn how to become self reliant and prepared for what ever catastrophe may strike. I do want to point out that I am a chief scout ( Canada's version of an eagle scout for you american readers out there ), but it has been way too long since I completed my badges. I have forgotten most of my knots, never really knew anything about plants and trees, and the last time I went camping was...I can't remember. I went on one after my mission in 2006. I'm sure there is one sooner than that but I can't think of it. Scratch that, I went winter camping with my father-in-law and brother-in-law 2 christmases ago. That was awesome.

So we will be learning together. I will be learning different skills, how to identify different plants and what they are good for, trying different methods of fire starting and shelter making, and filming it while I do it.

As of right now I am just waiting on some more equipment so I can actually have something to camp with. I'm not quite ready to head out with just the shirt on my back ( and pants ) just yet.

I have been feeling a pull to do this for a while. I love being out in the woods. I love sitting at the top of a sky slope and just staring at the valley below, and while camping hearing nothing but the river rushing and the wind through the trees. Really the only things holding me back are lack of equipment and I wasn't taking my thoughts about it seriously. I just passed them off as wishful thinking or just random thoughts. I would often think, "man, I really want to go camping. I need to get out in the woods, oh well". I would be reminded of it when I go to Vancouver Island and hike through the trees. I love it out there. I'm not sure why it has taken me so long to find this passion of mine...but here I am. Better late then never I suppose.

No comments:

Post a Comment