Sunday 14 September 2014

Distractions

I was thinking a lot this week about distractions. Man, we have a lot of them. How often do I come home and turn on the tv instead of preparing for a lesson or working on my to-do list? Too many times.

I heard a while ago somewhere that the way we view our spare time is different compared to years past. Now it is spent "vegging" in front of a tv or just sitting. How many of us come home and just want to sit and do nothing? I think we all do. Spare time in the past was used to pursue hobbies and interests. Men would come home from a long day at work and then head out to the shop and work on their cabinet making (if that was their hobby).

Everyone today thinks "I'm too busy". Are we? "I don't have time for that". Really? Yet we have time to watch our favorite shows the night they air, or play video games after work. We have time and arn't too busy but we have all these distractions that we give priority to.

"But what about me time?" That's when the pursuit of hobbies would take place. Today "me time" means time to turn my brain off for an hour or more. Why not pick up a new hobby and pursue that in your "me time." Apparently science is telling us that shutting our brains down in front of a tv is contributing to why we all feel so exhausted. They say if we fill that time with exercise or a hobby that we will actually feel energized and happier. What?? Come home after 8+ hours at work and then work out?? no way. Yeah way! This is science!

Anyways, I am stuck in this same boat. I know what I need to be doing or should be doing, but I would rather watch my show or browse the internet looking for the next pinterest fad. It's hard to break these habits of vegging. Vegging is nice, maybe we should call it a hobby and then we will feel better about it and get energized from it. Haha.

Take time to look at what you do in your day and see if there is 1, just 1, distraction you can get rid of. Maybe it's a game on your phone, or maybe it's facebook. Either way, find just 1 this week and get rid of it for 7 days. See how you feel after that. I would put money on it that you won't even miss it.


No comments:

Post a Comment